1. What is duplex paperboard?
Duplex is a type of paperboard that is stock produced and consists of two layers. It usually has a coated surface that is glossy, making the surface water-resistant. Therefore, it is widely used for packaging that requires high sturdiness and large size boxes.
2.Types of duplex paper
Duplex paper normally comes in a roll and can be categorized into two types:
- Single side coated: this Duplex paper type is coated on one side. It normally weighs at 210 gsm
- Double side coated: this Duplex paper type is coated on both side. Since its both sides are coated, the weight is heavier than single side coated at 250 gsm
Duplex paper usually comes in several thickness and weight variations, namely 200, 230, 250, 300, 350, 400, 450, 500gsm.
For weight of papers, gsm is a standard measurement, which stands for grams per square meter. GSM measurement is a good guide to quality as a higher value indicates the paper is thicker and heavier.
400 gsm Duplex paper means that for one meter square, the Duplex paper will weigh 400 g.
350 gsm Duplex paper means that for one meter square, the Duplex paper will weigh 350 g.
4.Pros and Cons of duplex paper
4.1 Pros of duplex paper:
- The paper offers high rigidity that can be utilised for different packaging products of various sizes from large to small. Due to the high rigidity and durability, duplex paperboard boxes can offer high protection for the products inside.
- Packaging products such as boxes made from duplex paperboard will have vibrant and lively colors. This will help the overall product to appear more luxurious and elegant.
- Duplex paperboard is more cost efficient when comparing to other paper solutions such as Ivory paper or Bristol paper.
4.2 Cons of duplex paper:
Ink adhesion property of duplex paperboard is not as strong as other paperboards. This means that there is a high risk that the ink will smudge during the printing process. Therefore, after printing, a film is needed to be applied on top of the duplex paper to obtain the highest quality print.
5. Applications of duplex paperboard
With its favorable properties, duplex paperboard is widely utilized in packaging and printing industry. Having the smooth, glossy surface, and the ability to be printed with vibrant colors, duplex paperboard is widely used in paper boxes. In particular, duplex boxes are usually made for following packaging boxes: food boxes, cosmetic products' boxes, medicine boxes.
At DN Pack, we are highly experienced in working with duplex paperboard to produce attractive packaging for various products such as frozen seafood boxes, candy boxes, tea, and coffee boxes. Please call us at +84 2993 612 772 or CONTACT US discuss your packaging needs or to resolve any enquiries you may have.